Investing in our Principles
The Hobo Wine Company is committed to a value system that extends beyond financial progress. We believe a business has an affect on it's micro and macro communities and an obligation to better both. We stand behind the Black Lives Matter movement to fight for freedom, liberation, and justice, and along with the environmental crisis believe these are the most pressing issues of our time.
- All of the 70 acres of vineyard that we lease are organically farmed and 92% of the total vineyards that we source from are sustainably, organically, or biodyamically farmed. The remaining 8% are all farmed under a third party monitored sustainable program.
- Our winery is powered by local renewable sustainable geothermal energy via Sonoma County’s EVERGREEN CLEAN POWER program.
- We are continually working to improve the environmental impact of our package.
- Labels are printed using HP’s environmentally friendly Indigo ElectroInk on 100% post-consumer recycled paper.
- Capsules were discontinued in 2005 – as far as we know, we were the first winery in California to do this.
- We use 100% Antique Green glass to ensure the highest percentage of recycled material in our bottles.
- We use all domestic glass to reduce the petrol needed for transportation.
- We continue to use natural corks and natural cork products because they have a lower carbon footprint to produce and are more recyclable, reusable, and compostable compared to cork alternatives.
- We are members of 1% for the Planet and donate 1% of our gross revenue from all of our brands to non-profit environmental organizations. Since joining, we have donated over $200,000.
- To support the fight against racism, we give financially to Black Lives Matter, the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, and Fair Fight.
- In 2017 and 2019 we hosted and organized ping pong tournaments with other businesses in our community that have raised over $70,000 benefitting The School Box Project, a non-profit that provides mobile, trauma informed education, art and play to children displaced by crisis.
- In addition to all of the above, we donate cash and many cases of wine to non-profits, schools, and other organizations that promote community on an annual basis.